HDD Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

m6qrp

In Runtime
I have an old celeron 333 running on a Luck Star 6ABX2V. My 15GB Hdd just died so i used a slave drive from my other pc and put it in. A Maxtor 40GB IDE HDD. For some reason, the motherboard cant detect the drive. I'm 100% sure that there's nothing wrong with the drive because it works on my other pc. Why can't the mb detect it?

make sure you set the jumpers so that the new drive is now the master. also if you have XP on that 40 GB hard drive it will not work in another system.

jcortes said:
make sure you set the jumpers so that the new drive is now the master. also if you have XP on that 40 GB hard drive it will not work in another system.

Even if there is an OS installed on a HDD there won't be any difference in how the BIOS detects a HDD.

I agree to check the jumpers. If you have a CD ROM, etc on the same cable, set it to Slave and the HDD to Master.

I have checked the jumpers, and set the drive to master and the cd-rom drive to slave. i have already reformated the hdd in my other computer before removing it. but the drive still cannot be detected.

You may need to upgrade your BIOS to get the mobo to recognize the larger hdd.

yes if this is an old computer then you quite possibly need to flash your BIOS. Check out the manufacturers website, they ofthen have a list of BIOS upgrades and what they do.

Otherwise you might try partitioning the drive into smaller logical drives in your other computer first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom