HDD not showing in my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmer

Daemon Poster
as the title says i can not get my hdd to show up in my computer. i have gone to hardware manger and messed around and it says the hardware is ok and working properly but obviuosly not. restarted and messed with jumpers many times and its a brand new drive just want it to hold some data.

Check to see if it's set to the correct master/slave setting. If this is a secondary drive for music/videos, it should be slave. If it's the main drive, it's Master.

The HD can never be read in the 'my computer' folders. That reads partitions; parts of the drive seperated into a certain range of clusters for holding data. You need to make a partition before you can use it. If you're in XP, go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management and select Disk Management at the bottom of the list. You should see your unpartitioned disk in there, and right clicking should allow you to add a partition. I think, I've never actually used this program to do it, and I don't have any space to check it with. You might have also ended up with a partition with no label, or something I can't think of right now, which that utility can also help with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom