HDD not recognized after CHKDSK

camosilver311

In Runtime
I have a WD1200JB IDE HDD that's 10 years old. It finally seemed to die out on me the other day, making some loud clicking sounds. The drive was recognized but the files were corrupted and I wasn't able to copy any of them. I put the HDD in the freezer for 24 hours and plugged it back into the computer, ran CHKDSK, and went to bed after CHKDSK had been running for 8 hours. When I woke up this morning, the computer was done with CHKDSK and windows was running, but the drive was no longer recognized. I restarted the comp and it's not found in BIOS either. I'm running XP, and the jumper settings are correct (they worked before CHKDSK was ran).

What can I do to get this drive to be recognized by the computer again? I've read through some threads saying that it might be worth a shot to try and hook the drive up in an external case, which I'll try later, but other than that is there anything else I can try?

Last edited:
Nevermind, the drive popped up after bringing the comp back from standby. CHKDSK successfully repaired the drive, and I was able to get the data that I thought I had lost. I wasn't expecting CHKDSK to work at all, very pleased with the outcome!

Back
Top Bottom