HDD boot issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

trynreadme

Solid State Member
My grandmother seemed to have done something to her machine and I have been banging my head against my desk trying to figure this out. To sum it all up, the HDD will not boot. Keeps throwing me errors.
It is an Acer x1200, AMD Athlon 4050e 64 bit, 3 GB DDR2, and the original HDD is a 320GB SATA.

First it leads off with Port 01:, obviously trying to boot from the HDD which is located on port 1 SATA port. Then it follows up with "disk boot Failure, insert system disk." When I try to boot to a windows installation disc it gives me a "Stop 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC00000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)" error. I have a Windows 7 Recovery disc, used that and was able to boot to the recovery consoles. There doesn't "seem" to be any previous version saved so I tried running CHKDSK /f C: and it says "device not ready." When I run CHKNTFS C: I get "Cannot query device." I tried swapping the HDD for a 500GB barracuda and I am getting the exact same errors. So, I thought it might be a SATA/IDE issue, but I can't find anything in the BIOS that resembles setting the HDD to either PATA or SATA. So I flashed the BIOS i hopes the new version will have it or fix the problem. It did nothing. In a desperation attempt, I had a 320GB laptop HDD that has Win7 Ultimate installed and I threw that in there using the same cables and port and it worked. I'm so confused. Does anyone have any idea's?

exact errors are:
ckdsk /f C: --> "Cannot open volume for direct access."
ckntfs C: --> "Cannot query state of drive C:"
dir C: --> "The device is not ready"

hmm this is a rather unusual issue. I do not think I have ever had an issue like this. How old is the HDD? Because if it's really old then I might consider throwing it out the window and buying a new one. If it's new than I don't think I can help you.

It's a brand new Barracuda HD. I should have updated this, but I did end up getting Windows 7 installed. But to be honest, I'm not sure what the issue was. I was originally trying to install Vista, which was OEM. The disc my grandmother gave me for it kept giving me the 'Stop' error. So I'm thinking that might have had something to do with the disc. I've yet to try it on another machine. As for the other 'access' and 'query' errors, after a bit of research apparently you can receive these errors due to missing drivers. I really don't see why I would need to install drivers for a year and half old Acer installing a fairly, due to model, new HDD. In the end I tried a Windows 7 install disc and it installed without a hiccup. I was watching and waiting the entire time for a crash and nothing happened. Took install, and updates perfectly. So, like I said before, I have NO idea what was wrong with the comp. Everything's good now, until it happens all over again.

I think I know what was going on. Missing drivers=Computer Overload=Crash. However when you installed windows 7 it handled the resources of the chips in your PC so eg: graphics. If you were trying to update a lower version of vista with a higher one so eg: Home premium to Professional you can't do that with a disk anymore :( You have to use Windows Anytime Upgrade otherwise you have to erase the HDD and start from scratch. But because you were updating Vista to 7 this doesn't apply and therefore doesn't have an issue. I also believe that the power of your PC was too much for Vista and so caused issues. Whereas 7 handles resources more effectively and so did not have an issue.

The HDD I was trying to install Vista on to was brand new, blank. Lol, and not to shoot down both your idea's, I appreciate them, but It's an Acer, the AMD is a dual core 2.1Ghz and not much else going on.
It is an Acer x1200, AMD Athlon 4050e 64 bit, 3 GB DDR2, and the original HDD is a 320GB SATA.

I appreciate the response though, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom