HDD/BIOS problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumbosized

Beta member
Hello, I recently purchased a new computer. The motherboard of choice was the Gigabyte 8I915P. I currently have a hard drive and a DVD burner plugged into the IDE 1 socket. Now heres the problem, I have another hard IDE hard drive, the Maxtor 6B250R0 , plugged into the IDE 2 socket and the BIOS will not recognize the hard drive. I have a guess that it has something to do with the BIOS but I cannot figure it out. Thanks for the help.

Go into your CMOS/BIOS ..............
verify your Hdd on IDE2 is recognized.... I would set it to 'master'.
I would set Hdd on IDE1 to master; DVDburner to slave.
The DVDburner may be happier on IDE2 as 'slave'. .......
maybe yes...... maybe no!

The hdd on IDE2 is not being recognized and it is set to master and is the only device on that cable. Now if I unplug the IDE cable from IDE2 and plug it into IDE1 it will be recognized. And if I unplug the IDE cable from IDE1 that has the hdd and DVD burner and put it into IDE2, those 2 devices will not be recognized. Hopefully that didnt confuse anyone and will help solve the problem (I probably should have had this in the original post). Another bit of possibly important info is that, if I'm not mistaken, the manual refers to IDE2 and IDE3 as SATA IDE... any more ideas are welcome.

JS.....
Refer to pg.10 ........... IDE2,3 are 'RAID compatible'. I assume that means they must be setup in a RAID configuration. They are not SATA connectors.
Therefore I believe you need to configure that 2nd Hdd as a 'RAID' Hdd to use it in connectors IDE2 or IDE3.
You should have some 'RAID' info in your manual somewhere, and some 'RAID drivers' that came with the mobo.

JKnPA, now that I go back and read that page your reasoning seems logically correct. This leaves me with some new questions, though. I want one hdd to store movies, music, and other large files, with the other hdd having the OS and applications. From what I have read on RAID, this doesnt seem possible. The manual said the mobo supports RAID 0, 1, 0+1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom