HD Wont install XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrinkle35

Beta member
I have a P4 with a 40GB Maxtor drive. The problem I have is that the OS won't install. it tells me there is a disk read error or that certain files can't copy over. Now the HD passed the powermax test...and I have a nice shiny new XP disk.
So I tried anothe HD the same size and everything I get similar errors...
What the heck?

I have been getting this on every computer that has this maxtor 40-GB HD. There are 5 of them, all the same XP pro..The only thing that works is Win 2k. But after I install SP 1, it crashes with a big blue fatal error screen.

is it a legit xp cd?

btw my maxtor 40gb Died quickly after i got it.. I would surface scan the suckers.

Re: HD Won't install

wrinkle35 said:
Yes it is a legit CD. I was using a copy, but it would not work.

when backing Up xp cds (I do it alot so I don't screw mine up when I use them as coasters etc) and yes mine are legit copies.

You have to copy all the subchannels over (either a nero on the fly copy or alcohol 120%)

he says he's using a shiny new XP disk, so unless it's scratched, I think the problem is somewhere else.
it can be the RAM, it can be the hard drive, or maybe the IDE cable

I am having the same problem with my peice of computer. Let me know if you find any results.

BTW the way he is a 'she' :) Not to be a bag or anything. I have run the powermax utility and all the HD passes. Why would the cable all of a sudden quit? I mean everything worked until I try to format. Is it possible to over-format a HD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom