HD Turns on and off loading Windows, PC Restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshC

Baseband Member
For Christmas I got a 74GB Raptor HD and haven't had any problems up until yesterday. I installed PowerDVD and after doing so ran Norton and S&D but was unable to run Ad-Aware because it said the definition files could not be found.

I restarted the computer and when the Windows Screen came up with the blue scrolling status bar I could hear the HD turn on and off a couple of times and then the computer would continue to load XP. When it got to my desktop I briefly saw an error message for Norton and then my computer restarted. This time Windows loaded normally. I messed with it for some time and sometimes the hd would turn off and on and then restart once Windows loaded, but other times it would be fine.

This morning I finally got a screen that said there was an internal error with Norton and I went through the steps that it told me to do to fix it. I also used the XP disk to repair Windows. Again, the problem was still hit and miss.

I then did a fresh install of Windows and began installing other basic programs. It seems to be fine when I restart without making any changes to my computer, but when I restart after installing a program the hd will turn on and off about four times and then Windows will continue to load but then it gives me a message saying there is something wrong with the registries and that they had to be retrieved from previous logs/entries or something to that extent.

I hooked up my old HD and there is not a problem.

Could my new hard drive be failing already or is it somehow still software related or am I missing something else?

Please help, I am very frustrated.

As an update I just ran Data LifeGuard Diagnostics and Memtest 86 and there were no errors but once Windows started I recieved an error message from yahoo. My system is not overclocked but my BIOS is set to "Optimal Performance".

It could be a bad hd. How did you do a fresh install? Did you boot from the XP cd and delete the partition then format the partition?

Do you only have one hdd installed? and do you have it on the primary ide cable on the master connector and do you have the jumper set for master not cable select? If you do then its time for the dreaded RMA!!!! Sorry dude

They are SATA and hooked individually so doesn't that mean I wouldn't have to worry about master and slave? Either way, after I started having the problems I unhooked the other hdd to make sure no harm was done to that. Luckily WD will send me another hdd before I send the defective one back if I have to go that route.

Well I RMAed my Raptor, and hooked up the new one. After installing Windows, guess what....yup, same problems. I updated my BIOS and used a new cable and hooked it into a different SATA port on my motherboard. Problem still continues. I've checked my Eventlogger and I am getting a Disk Error Event ID 51. With the other drive I was not getting this error but instead was getting an MSIinstaller error and something about the registries still being loaded while Windows was shutting down.

I was running off of my old 80GB HDD for about a week while waiting for the new Raptor to get here and had absolutly no problems with it.

Anybody have any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom