HD Troubles - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 12-05-2005, 06:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lord Techie

you should be careful, why would you want to go legal about illegal data. learn to live with it or live with the fines for the rest of your life. i think all hdd manufacturers also have a disclaimer saying they are not responsible for data loss as the purchaser should be responsible for backing up data.

Visit my website - nitestick.net
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 12-05-2005, 07:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Well first of all, if you do research into data recovery, there are laws and policies regarding the secrecy of your data. This is taken from Seagates website regarding their data recovery services:

"We offer a secure environment in which your information is kept private. We will protect the confidentiality of your data against unauthorized disclosure using the same degree of care as we use to protect our own confidential information."

Also, I never said that these songs, movies, and image files were illegal in the first place. Since Seagate is a leading company in disk technologies, I am sure the majority of the other companies dealing with data recovery have similar privacy policies. Why would they want to get into the legal aspect of piracy? That is just more of their time/money that is wasn't in legal procedings. I realize I should backup my data, and from now on I will look at this as an option.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Maybe so. But you pay for those services, hence the laws to not look at your data.

9 times out of 10 movies on someones computers are probably illegal to some extent. I could care less whether you have legal stuff or not.. it's just the fact.

Anyways, lesson learned ;( .. I didn't mean to sound rude just the truth though Good Luck Though
Old 12-06-2005, 01:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Techie

learn to backup your data and defrag once in a while. that's all i have to say. :-/

Closed Thread