HD problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2007, 10:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default HD problem

i recently found a old hard drive from a old computer, and i decided to hook it up to my computer. i went and grabbed an dual plug cable and plugged it in witl both drives hooked up, when the machine was off, of course. plugged it in, and ran windows. it worked fine and 'found new hardware fujitsu whatever' and i could access all the files. it said you must restart to apply changes or something of the like, and i did. turn the computer back on and it says 'checking drive e for errors' and got to 88% done and there was no progress in an hour. i turned the machine off and back on, but when it turned on, the bios screen came up and loaded, but seemed to freeze. it then told me that the computer cannot find drive 1, and i said to myself, hmm...if my xp drive was drive 0, then maybe if i take out the other drive it will be dandy. not so. the computer did the same thing as before, but when i went to properties, it showed a hard drive installed, and it indeed was, but when i went to exit and apply changes it did the same thing. i turned it off until today and booted it up. it came up with the boot list and i hit drive c. cane up with f1 to continue and f2 to go into properties. i messed with both of these, and finally got windows to run.it booted very jerkily and didn't show desktop for about 20 minutes. it then came up with 1 icon and the start menu was below the bottom of the screen. i immediately thought oh, the monitor, but that was fine. i have since been able to boot in (driver diagnostic?) and then after lines o code and a blue screen, it said entering safe mode, and then i am here to ask help . dimension 3000, 30g xp hd and 10g other one, running 2000. please help. the hard drive is working very hard
Closed Thread