HD not showing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

scroudt

In Runtime
I just got a new HD. I installed it into my PC, started the computer up and it wasn't showing up. I checked my wires and restarted my PC and it still wasn't there.

Heres what I have in my PC already. I have a 120gig and a 80gig HD already installed, my 120 has my OS installed on it(Win XP pro 64-bit) My 80 gig is just an extra drive. Both hard drives are IDE drives. My new HD is SATA.

What am I overlooking? or what do I have to do to fix this?

Thanks

Well, first thing I would do is make sure it actually powers up. I would pull it back out of the case and leave it free. Hold it in your hand when you turn on the machine... if you feel it spin up, then you know it's getting juice. If not, then you got a dead drive.

If it spins up but still not recognized by windows... go to your computer management (assuming you have windows) and see if it's there, just not formatted, or partitioned. let us know what happens, then we can go from there.

thats weird, it shows up in the manager and says it's enabled and working properly. I also went into add hardware and it says it's working there as well.

ok, I just went into Disk management when I was typing this, it's in there as well, but, it says it unallocated?

If you have not done it yet right mouse click and set as active partition. Then right mouse click on the drive (making sure it is the correct drive) select format

wow, I'm sorry, when I right click on it in disk management, all I get is New volume, properties and help.

if you want to add me to msn, my add. is (ask user) . might just be faster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom