HD Failure Due To Bumping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrezewarD

Beta member
The current computer desk I am using right now forces me to sit my tower on a decently sized desk ledge, on my right. I have a big leather chair (like most of you), and occasionally if I swing my chair to the left, the back of the chair will bump my computer (in most cases moving it a couple of inches), and bumping my tower cause a click noise to be heard (I'm pretty sure it's the HD head reseting, not sure), the computer works for about 30-45 seconds, then locks up. When I look at the HD activity light on my tower, it appears fully lit up. I have to force shutdown my computer at this point.

Earlier today I got up from my chair, and my hand went retarded and lightly smacked my tower - same thing happened. I'm really hoping my hard drive isn't failing on my already, since I just got it, but is it normal for HDs to be sensitive to this sort of thing?

The sound is caused because the read write head is comming in contact with the plater. Which is bad. So stop bumping in to it...

The sectors it comes in contact with will be unusable, if there was data there it would be come lost or currupted. Back up any important data onto another media and continueing using it. And above all stop bumping into it...

If HD Sound increases or lock ups increase time for a new HD.

Oh I know this is bad. When something fails, it's rarely ever good, correct?

I'm just asking how common it is for something to be that sensitive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom