HD Disk Issue...advice real quick? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2006, 03:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to BoysNightOut
Default HD Disk Issue...advice real quick?

My friend's CPU I am currently trying to reformat and clean out because of a few issues it had. It runs a Western Digital 120GB older hard disk about 3-4 yrs old. The problem it has is it says the following error message upon bootup during load screens...

Primary Master S.M.A.R.T. status bad. Immediate back-up files. HD Disk failure, replace. Failure may be imminent.

I'm currently dumping the drive and reformatting it now. Should I even attempt to reload an OS on to it, or just tell him get a new HD anyways. I suggested he gets a new HD soon anyhow, because it's old and has been dumped quite a few times over the years heh...

Anyone know exaclty what that failure means? I figure either something got corrupted from a virus or perhaps climate damage? Drive physically appears intact...

Any advice is appreciated. I'm going to see if it even runs an OS after the format for XP Home Edition. When I slaved the HD up to my CPU to take files off of it, it kept locking up and freezing my windows explorer as well by the way, so I figured the drive itself is just a mess by now.

Thanks anyone!

Old 07-23-2006, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

It takes a lot to get a message like that, attempting to use the drive further is just asking for a total failure. Make sure your files are backed up as soon as possible, and be glad you got a warning, as many of us don't.
Closed Thread