HD is dead / Do i have hope / what HD reaper tools i need? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2005, 02:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via ICQ to Waffa Send a message via AIM to Waffa Send a message via Yahoo to Waffa
Default HD is dead / Do i have hope / what HD reaper tools i need?

Please excuse my boor English.

44 pin 2.5” to PC 40 pin IDE ( http://www.mycableshop.com/300x300/IDE4044_300.jpg ) internal and 2.5”/ 5.25" IDE to USB external kit (http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-usb-usb2ide.html ). I lose this green part ( needed for notebook hard drives) from last product & because I was to lazy to shutdown the computer to use internal kit, I take the first product, plug it to the notebook HD & then connect the USB IDE cable as it would connect to usual 5.25” drive, unfortunately, I did not pay attention & connected one of the connectors (or bought) wrong because they fit every way. It did not work.. so I try every possible combination, not thinking that this could damage hard drive - & surprise surprise – it did! Now when I installed notebook hard drive back – notebook did not even recognize hard drive from BIOS & like this would not be enough I did same thing whit next hard drive (first I thought that hard drive stop working on different reasons).

Anyway, I hope/think that only the electronic is screwed on HD, or could this totally erase everything I had on HD? How good are my chances that if I buy new similar hard drive – I get it up & running after I replace the electronic part? HD do not have any clicking sound or anything, just seems dead. One is IBM other one is Samsung
If I can not find exactly same HD, what are most important parameters besides shape I should look ( Size, cylinders, LBA etc)?
Do I need to set jumpers on 2.5” while I working whit IDE to USB adapter?

Because I do not have manual for eighter of them, I wonder what is the correct way to connect them, internal one have on one side “B” on left & Nr “1 ->” with arrow on right, other side of “B” I have “R”, and second tool USB IDE have just arrow on left & right & that’s all. How should I connect it??

I am tech @ my self, and I would be interested to buy hard drive reaper / recovery hard and software, and maybe training, what tools should I look for? I have huge box full of broken hard drives where I would like to try to fix / recover on training purposes.

Professional data recovery is way to expensive, but about how much my notebook HD reaper would cost me? I have there some documents I would like to get back, around 3-4 Gigs.

Thanks !

Old 09-20-2005, 02:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
PC Cutie ^_^

ummm. sorry this might not be what you are wanting to hear but... I have heard that if you put the HD into a freezer for and hour or so, it might extend its life for a little while. maybe long enough for you to get valuable data from it.

Does anybody know of any truth to that?

Old 09-20-2005, 10:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via ICQ to Waffa Send a message via AIM to Waffa Send a message via Yahoo to Waffa

Originally posted by Seria

lol, yes i quote :P

Yes, this freezer thing is one of the LAST thing, and sometimes only thing ya can do in home, in freeser the metal will expand whit cold & sometimes gets things move temporally, but the problem will be water - soon as ya start to heat HD up, extra coolers 4 HD would save maybe couple of more hours. But i think on my HD the problem is electronic chips. Most of the times people damage HD more by using this method thought.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

make sure its perfectly sealed, the last time I tried it, I had a soppy wet hard drive...
Old 09-20-2005, 10:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Field Engineer
Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

I have seen freezing the HDD work before
A+, Network + , HP Certified Tech and MCP

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Closed Thread