HD 5870 Temp. - Page 7 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #61 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,310
Default Re: HD 5870 Temp.

Run a game, or the Kombustor program that comes with Afterburner.
So it's molex? If so, plug it in to a molex connector coming from the PSU.
__________________

__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #62 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
TheHumanComputer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Inside A P c
Posts: 1,181
Default Re: HD 5870 Temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Run a game, or the Kombustor program that comes with Afterburner.
So it's molex? If so, plug it in to a molex connector coming from the PSU.
It's a 4 pin, not molex though, the same type as the old fan that can plug into the card. I will unplug it, and put the molex on, and connect it to the PSU.

*edit*

I have WoW up, gpu useage is at 40 and its already shot upto 75oC already?!


I have closed it down, temps shot upto 80oC and it was only at about 45% useage...

I am going to see if i can re-seat it, maybe apply new paste? I'll post when i'm done.


Pic of the GPU. Paste isn't spread around it? Did I do something wrong? Too much paste?


*Last edit*

I think i fixed it!! YAY!
The screw for the mount had extra metal on it, making the screw not go all the way down, making the heat-sink not sit on the GPU chip properly. I hope this has fixed the problem. I am now getting temps at 33-35oC

*New EDIT*

Ok, so im running WoW. Temp goes to about 60oC maybe 63 when i play it, is this normal? GPU load is at like 40-50%. I have changed the fan speed to 40% as well. Would this kill the fans? I don't even think it made a difference too it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (119.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: gif yay1234.gif (17.7 KB, 1 views)
__________________

__________________
AMD FX 9370 @ 4.4Ghz
Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
Deepcool Genome Case with Watercooling
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
EVGA GTX 980 SC 4GB
Areocool 750W Semi Modular PSU
TheHumanComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #63 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,310
Default Re: HD 5870 Temp.

Those temps are fine. Remember, GPUs are good up to 90+C. Some GPUs with stock coolers like mine run in the 80s on a regular basis.

Running your fans at 40% is fine, and if it matches the original go ahead and plug it into your card.

That paste spread is fine.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #64 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
TheHumanComputer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Inside A P c
Posts: 1,181
Default Re: HD 5870 Temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Those temps are fine. Remember, GPUs are good up to 90+C. Some GPUs with stock coolers like mine run in the 80s on a regular basis.

Running your fans at 40% is fine, and if it matches the original go ahead and plug it into your card.

That paste spread is fine.
I have plugged it into the motherboard, when i increase the fan speed, it doesn't seem to do nothing?

It's staying at 48oC now... ._. i don't have wow up or anything.
__________________
AMD FX 9370 @ 4.4Ghz
Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
Deepcool Genome Case with Watercooling
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
EVGA GTX 980 SC 4GB
Areocool 750W Semi Modular PSU
TheHumanComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #65 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,310
Default Re: HD 5870 Temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHumanComputer View Post
I have plugged it into the motherboard, when i increase the fan speed, it doesn't seem to do nothing?

It's staying at 48oC now... ._. i don't have wow up or anything.
That's because the fan controller on the card only controls the fan port on the card. MSI Afterburner does not control any ports on the motherboard.

48c idle is fine, seriously, you're stressing too much. Your temps are ok.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #66 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
TheHumanComputer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Inside A P c
Posts: 1,181
Default Re: HD 5870 Temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
That's because the fan controller on the card only controls the fan port on the card. MSI Afterburner does not control any ports on the motherboard.

48c idle is fine, seriously, you're stressing too much. Your temps are ok.
Even when i had it plugged into the graphics card, it didn't do anything
__________________
AMD FX 9370 @ 4.4Ghz
Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
Deepcool Genome Case with Watercooling
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
EVGA GTX 980 SC 4GB
Areocool 750W Semi Modular PSU
TheHumanComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #67 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,310
Default Re: HD 5870 Temp.

If the fans run and your temps are good then I wouldn't worry about it.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #68 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
TheHumanComputer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Inside A P c
Posts: 1,181
Default Re: HD 5870 Temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
If the fans run and your temps are good then I wouldn't worry about it.
The temp went upto about 75-80, and the fan didn't speed up, shouldn't that be a worry? :O
__________________
AMD FX 9370 @ 4.4Ghz
Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
Deepcool Genome Case with Watercooling
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
EVGA GTX 980 SC 4GB
Areocool 750W Semi Modular PSU
TheHumanComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #69 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,310
Default Re: HD 5870 Temp.

If the fan is plugged into your motherboard or a molex connector then odds have it the fans are already maxed out. No program will show you the fan speeding up because it isn't plugged into the card itself like I mentioned before. The 40% being indicated is what the cards port is trying to give, not what your fans are really doing if they aren't plugged into the card.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #70 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
TheHumanComputer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Inside A P c
Posts: 1,181
Default Re: HD 5870 Temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
If the fan is plugged into your motherboard or a molex connector then odds have it the fans are already maxed out. No program will show you the fan speeding up because it isn't plugged into the card itself like I mentioned before. The 40% being indicated is what the cards port is trying to give, not what your fans are really doing if they aren't plugged into the card.
Hmmm. Alright then, thank you
__________________

__________________
AMD FX 9370 @ 4.4Ghz
Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
Deepcool Genome Case with Watercooling
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
EVGA GTX 980 SC 4GB
Areocool 750W Semi Modular PSU
TheHumanComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.