HD 5870 Temp. - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Pushing Daisies on Saturn
 
Yevrag35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Wisconsin, US
Posts: 1,118
Default Re: HD 5870 Temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHumanComputer View Post
Hmm, has AMD on the card. O.o
It's an XFX card with an AMD (or ATI) branded GPU (the HD 5870 part).

XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Newegg.com

XFX's support website: http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/Help/Support.aspx
__________________

__________________


Yevrag35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
TheHumanComputer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Inside A P c
Posts: 1,181
Default Re: HD 5870 Temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yevrag35 View Post
Alright thanks!
__________________

__________________
AMD FX 9370 @ 4.4Ghz
Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
Deepcool Genome Case with Watercooling
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
EVGA GTX 980 SC 4GB
Areocool 750W Semi Modular PSU
TheHumanComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
Pushing Daisies on Saturn
 
Yevrag35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Wisconsin, US
Posts: 1,118
Default Re: HD 5870 Temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHumanComputer View Post
Alright thanks!
I just realized you said you "swapped" it. Does that mean you didn't purchase directly from a retailer? If it was traded/sold from somebody, you may have to track them down to get a proof of purchase for the warranty to be valid.
__________________


Yevrag35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
TheHumanComputer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Inside A P c
Posts: 1,181
Default Re: HD 5870 Temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yevrag35 View Post
I just realized you said you "swapped" it. Does that mean you didn't purchase directly from a retailer? If it was traded/sold from somebody, you may have to track them down to get a proof of purchase for the warranty to be valid.
Oh well this sucks... Yah I traded it with someone. Hopefully I can see if he is still on the forum I got it from and ask him.... If not, would a after market cooler fix it ?


*EDIT*

I am confused.... Look at the screen shot...
Attached Images
File Type: gif gputemp3.gif (18.4 KB, 3 views)
__________________
AMD FX 9370 @ 4.4Ghz
Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
Deepcool Genome Case with Watercooling
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
EVGA GTX 980 SC 4GB
Areocool 750W Semi Modular PSU
TheHumanComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
steve10765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 635
Default Re: HD 5870 Temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yevrag35 View Post
Well, probably whatever is causing the noise, is slowing the fan down to only 1100RPM. My IDEAL idle speed is 2000RPM, but it depends on the size of the fan and such.

Next, your card's memory is clocked pretty high, wouldn't you say? Is it OC'd at all? With a "non-" properly functioning fan and the card being OC'd would easily contribute to the high temps.
Dang thats fast for Idle, my 560's max max speed at 75C is 1960RPM, with the fan on 67%
(was doing some sound tests last night)

Of course yours is a 680, but dam dude thats faster than me at max! ( If i went to like 80C I am sure the fan would go over 2k RPM, but it never has)

EDIT: those were my CPU fan speeds, whoops. My idle GPU right now is 1800 RPM


OP - Hmmm, well atleast its fixed somehow, hopefully it stays that way.
Maybe something fell onto the GPU and the fan being on rattled it out of the way
__________________
Intel i5 4640 - XFX R9 280
Corsair Vengeance 8GB - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic 620W PSU
steve10765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
TheHumanComputer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Inside A P c
Posts: 1,181
Default Re: HD 5870 Temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve10765 View Post
Dang thats fast for Idle, my 560's max max speed at 75C is 1960RPM, with the fan on 67%
(was doing some sound tests last night)

Of course yours is a 680, but dam dude thats faster than me at max! ( If i went to like 80C I am sure the fan would go over 2k RPM, but it never has)

EDIT: those were my CPU fan speeds, whoops. My idle GPU right now is 1800 RPM


OP - Hmmm, well atleast its fixed somehow, hopefully it stays that way.
Maybe something fell onto the GPU and the fan being on rattled it out of the way
It's still doing it... temp is going all over the place was at 37, then 50, now its at 47.... idk whats wrong with it.

Is there a program i can use to UP the speed of the fan also? its only running at 21%

Would it be okay to still play WoW? just keep an eye on the temps? Whats a safe temp for this card? and my faulty problem...?
__________________
AMD FX 9370 @ 4.4Ghz
Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
Deepcool Genome Case with Watercooling
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
EVGA GTX 980 SC 4GB
Areocool 750W Semi Modular PSU
TheHumanComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
steve10765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 635
Default Re: HD 5870 Temp.

SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer

SPEEDFAN!!!!
__________________
Intel i5 4640 - XFX R9 280
Corsair Vengeance 8GB - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic 620W PSU
steve10765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Pushing Daisies on Saturn
 
Yevrag35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Wisconsin, US
Posts: 1,118
Default Re: HD 5870 Temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHumanComputer View Post
It's still doing it... temp is going all over the place was at 37, then 50, now its at 47.... idk whats wrong with it.

Is there a program i can use to UP the speed of the fan also? its only running at 21%

Would it be okay to still play WoW? just keep an eye on the temps? Whats a safe temp for this card? and my faulty problem...?
On my old 6950, fan speeds could controlled through the Catalyst Control Center; http://www2.ati.com/drivers/13-4_win...d_ccc_whql.exe
I can't remember where though.
__________________


Yevrag35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
steve10765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 635
Default Re: HD 5870 Temp.

I would go with the AMD controller, it probably works better
__________________
Intel i5 4640 - XFX R9 280
Corsair Vengeance 8GB - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic 620W PSU
steve10765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
Pushing Daisies on Saturn
 
Yevrag35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Wisconsin, US
Posts: 1,118
Default Re: HD 5870 Temp.

Huh, ironically searching google for the location of changing the fan speeds, it pulled up an old TF thread about it.
So here you go: How do I manually change fan speeds in the catalyst control centre?
__________________

__________________


Yevrag35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.