Having a really weird problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alborob

Beta member
Ok well my Power supply burned and I took it to some shop and they replaced it with a new one for free because the previous one was theres. Then when I got home, I powered it on and everything was ok, windows loaded and yeah and then out of nowhere it restarts by itself?? I was like wtf and then it barely loaded to the loading Windows XP loading sign and it restarts again and then it just keeps restarting a hundred times and I turned it off.

Then I went to the shop again and they put another power supply and it was working. So they said maybe it could be the power cord...I was like yeah ok. Then they put another one and it worked and started restarting like before and then they put a different cord and it wouldn't turn on at all anymore. It's been at the shop for like 3 weeks and still nothing and they said like 1 week ago they ordered a new processor and motherboard and I just got fed up with it and took the PC back. Does anyone know what is causing this because I can't really live without a comp lol. Thanks

P.S I'm typing this at my cousins house

The heatsink could have gotten loose or the cmos battery is drained. Try to reapply thermal paste or tighten the heatsink and replace the cmos battey

I'm sorry but whats a CMOS battery lol. And do u mean the heatsink for the processor right? Thanks

The first thing that came to my mind when I read this was that the rails on the power supply could be too low, or it could not have enough amps for everything you are trying to power. If you have access to a multimeter you could test each rail of your power supply. If you dont, you could check your bios hardware monitor or use software in windows. The second two wont be as accurate but you could use them if you dont have a multimeter.

well I can try that multimeter thing but the software I can't cause as soon as the windows taskbar/start it restarts and then it just restarts a lot and I hear this flickering.

the cmos battery is a small battery on the motherboard and it is usualy about the size of a quater and thin as on too.

i dont know why you guys think its the CMOS battery, if it where to be failing then the computer wouldn't be POSTing, im thinking either Hard drive or maybe RAM, you can try running Microsoft Online Crash Analysis to check the RAM, and for the Hard drive, well throw that into a different system and back everything up and format it or you can run check disk with the xp cd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom