Having problems with new Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

zetahammy

Baseband Member
Hey guys I just got my new rig the other day and I assembled it last night, but I seem to be having some troubles and I'm not really sure whats going on.

These are the new parts I got from newegg.com

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9GHz

MB: BIOSTAR TFORCE 550 Socket AM2

RAM: G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

Video Card: EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB

pretty much whats going on is... I assembled everything fine, plugged in all the power and monitor and such and turned it on. Then what happens is it just shows the BIOSTAR LOGO and nothing happens for a while unless I go into the bios. I look seems fine except that it can read my IDE drive as master but it doesn't read my optical drive. The funny thing though is that I set up my optical drive as master by switching the jumper cables in all the different variations either: cable select or master or slave and such.

The optical drive and ide HDD i have are from my older computer I'm using and they're running. My HDD was my main ide on my old computer with windows xp already installed on it. for some reason it won't boot now. What can I do?

I guess my problems seem to be... :

1. my hdd is reconized even though its slaved but labeled as master. But even though its recognized it won't boot up then OS that was originally installed on it.

2. my optical drive isn't being recognized even though its set as master.

They're both sharing one ide cable since thats the only cable there on this mobo. Didn't realize it was a SATA board or else i would have bought some new SATA hdd.

Thanks pheonix.. yea I tried that out.. and here are the results.

Pretty much I took my ide hdd and put it back in my old computer and it seemed to load windows perfectly fine.

So what I went back to my new comp and tried somethings out. what i discovered was that:

1. my optical disc would work only if it was the only one connected. So no HDD drive.

2. Vice versa. HDD would read with out having optical plugged in.

3. BUT for some reason when I only have HDD pluged it. It will only boot/load if the jumper is on slave. I tried every other port and even without the jumper and it would load. But the bios would read it. The only time it would boot is if the jumper was on slave.

4. But when I put it on Slave and tried to load windows. It would go to that screen where it says "Safe mode/blah blah blah/last recent settings/normally" And when I choose either one, it would seem as if it was going to start XP but then all of sudden theres these words that flash up really fast (too fast too read so I can't write them) and then the computer just restarts.

5. So i tried to put my hdd on my old computer to see what happens. And there were no problems, So I'm so confused. Why oh WHY? lol

so the problems are... I can't put both HDD and optical drive on ide cable, I've switched with new one and old one.
And the other problem is that windows will load on old comp but not new one. So i guess that problem is mobo?

Thanks for the help

4. But when I put it on Slave and tried to load windows. It would go to that screen where it says "Safe mode/blah blah blah/last recent settings/normally" And when I choose either one, it would seem as if it was going to start XP but then all of sudden theres these words that flash up really fast (too fast too read so I can't write them) and then the computer just restarts.

Yes it will do this. This happens when you have 2 different computers and your trying to use windows off the other computer with different hardware. You must reinstall windows for it to load into windows and not cause any errors and junk. Theres nothing wrong with the mobo people are quick to think that but alot of the times its usually the end user doing something wrong.

You will have to reinstall windows on the HD for your computer to load up windows.

Also try to but both of them on master. The slave drive is meant for when you have 2 of the same optical drives and want one used more then the other one. Now your running with 2 differnt drives jsut try both of them on master and see how it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom