Having instability issues after Overclock, please help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

King$nake

In Runtime
Basically my problem was for whatever reason – at random – when I boot my PC, occasionally I will get a BSOD at startup (before Windows starts to load). If it happens once, it will normally do it a few times consecutively before it starts up like normal.

When I went into BIOS and put my settings back to 'Default', the issue stopped. But of course now my PC is considerably slower at stock speeds.

For whatever reason it's tricky to overclock this Asus P5B motherboard, because certain combinations of Ram Speed, Voltage etc will either give me a 16x link width or a 1x link width.

I don't know why that happens, but the last time I was able to OC over a 4.0 GHZ CPU speed and it kept the 16x link width, I stayed with it - but of course BSOD issues started happening. Other times I tried to OC, I would end up with a 1x link width, and my PC was very slow...even though it was saying the CPU was over 4.0GHZ.

Id like to get my CPU back up to speed and stable, so any help is appreciated!

The BSOD has different errors - sometimes I get a PAGE FAULT error. Here is a screenshot of the BSOD I am getting:

bsod1.jpg

finding the right overclocking settings is very time consuming, its possible that it can take days or even weeks to find the correct voltage settings for all options.

You have to play with vcore, ram voltage, northbridge voltage, FSB voltage and RAM timming (And others if your mobo has options for them)

also try disableing some mobo options like EIST and C1ST.

OCCT, prime 95 and other programs can be used to see rather quickly if settings are even close to stable.

but like I said, its very time consuming..

In the end you may never be fully satisfied with how stable something is, for example given whatever speed and settings a BSOD or other errors may occur once or twice a week, that may be stable to you, but for others thats unacceptable..

And you increase the likelihood of killing parts..

Make sure you have back ups of any important data before doing that, data corruption can occur when playing with that, as well as overclocking in general.

finding the right overclocking settings is very time consuming, its possible that it can take days or even weeks to find the correct voltage settings for all options.

You have to play with vcore, ram voltage, northbridge voltage, FSB voltage and RAM timming (And others if your mobo has options for them)

also try disableing some mobo options like EIST and C1ST.

OCCT, prime 95 and other programs can be used to see rather quickly if settings are even close to stable.

but like I said, its very time consuming..

In the end you may never be fully satisfied with how stable something is, for example given whatever speed and settings a BSOD or other errors may occur once or twice a week, that may be stable to you, but for others thats unacceptable..

And you increase the likelihood of killing parts..

OCCT, Prime 95...are any better than the other? Or should I run both?

What's interesting with this issue is I never get a BSOD or any issues after Windows has loaded. I would only get the BSOD's occasionally on startup

I have been out of the overclocking scene for awhile now.

I only had my Q6600 @ 3.7 Ghz for a few months before the quad gt died, anyways.

When I did overclock I used OCCT mostly, just ask around on overclocking forums to get the idea of what is the best one. It doesn't really matter since they all do the same thing pretty much.

I also used SMP Folding to test stabilty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom