Having Hardware Issues - Can not get the monitor to register - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Having Hardware Issues - Can not get the monitor to register

This desktop is not communicating with the LCD screen. Originally I thought the gfx card went and the VGA needed to be plugged into the on board video but I still have nothing. Ive pulled the battery on the board and thought that this might reset the bios settings so that it will recognize the on board ports (in case the owner of the computer had turned off the on-board completely). I still received no signal.

the owner has recently tried to install a new copy of win7 on a new hd, this is when he said he lost the video signal. i think he said he switched the sata port and that is why he lost the video signal..but shouldnt i still be able to see the bios?

I was going to try and just wipe the hard drive and reinstall again..but i cant even see the splash screen so i can boot to my flash drive. anyone have any ideas?

Old 09-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Having Hardware Issues - Can not get the monitor to register

Sounds like the mobo shorted out. Do you hear any beeps or anything? Dont judge by the fans powering on, they will anyways. You need to find out if there truly is power going to the system by hooking up an internal speaker and see if there are beep codes.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 09-25-2011, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: Having Hardware Issues - Can not get the monitor to register

Okay so I have an update.

I reset the BIOs again and I have video.

Now..the old hard drive seems to have an olf copy of windows vista and 2 copys of Win7.

I can boot to this win7 disk and go to the install but neither of the hard drives are there. however in the bios it shows them there.

edit: i just plugged a hard drive in my docking station into the docking station into said computer and thru the USB it showed the hd in the win 7 setup.

is it possibly that i could still be booting to the BIOs and to CD but cant boot to the harddrive through the mobo?
Closed Thread