Have second hd, now computer wont turn on. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Have second hd, now computer wont turn on.

Hey guys I have another problem that I cant solve. I had 2 hd's on my XP pc and they were working fine. I unplugged one of them to see if I could install it on a different pc (needed to copy the data from on hd to the other and I figured that would be the easiest way) but that pc wouldnt turn on after I had plugged in the hd. So I replugged in the hd on the first pc (the one I origionally took it out of) and now it wont turn on. I checked all the cables, nothing there. I removed the hd and tried restarting the comp. it booted up fine. Well, no, thats a lie. I'm getting a error message saying that it cant find hard drive 0, it says that twice then it says something like cant find hard drive 1 and then it says press f1 to enter setup and f2 to continue. I press f2 and it boots up fine. I tried going into BIOS and setting all the dectection to auto and it still is giving me that message. Any ideas?

Old 04-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Default Re: Have second hd, now computer wont turn on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycopuppy View Post
Hey guys I have another problem that I cant solve. I had 2 hd's on my XP pc and they were working fine. I unplugged one of them to see if I could install it on a different pc (needed to copy the data from on hd to the other and I figured that would be the easiest way) but that pc wouldnt turn on after I had plugged in the hd. So I replugged in the hd on the first pc (the one I origionally took it out of) and now it wont turn on. I checked all the cables, nothing there. I removed the hd and tried restarting the comp. it booted up fine. Well, no, thats a lie. I'm getting a error message saying that it cant find hard drive 0, it says that twice then it says something like cant find hard drive 1 and then it says press f1 to enter setup and f2 to continue. I press f2 and it boots up fine. I tried going into BIOS and setting all the dectection to auto and it still is giving me that message. Any ideas?
I would guess that your boot order is wrong, setting it to auto isn't necessarily going to work.

In the BIOS you should be able to choose the order in which types of devices (optical, HDD, network, etc) are checked. If you're not the type of person who is always installing new OS, you should set HDD at the top.

Also in the BIOS, you should be able to select the order in which the individual HDDs are checked, you will need to put the HDD with the OS at the top here.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Closed Thread