hardwear won't load - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default hardwear won't load

hi, i hope this is in the right place.

i have a dell dimension pc. it was running fine for accepting new hardwear. however, since march i have tried to get my samsung phone running with the comp but it won't. at first i thought it was a problem with the phone. it will load softwear from disks but not the hardwear itself. since then i have bought a new mp3 player and a bluetooth dongle. it won't take either of them.

the wizzard sees that the softwear is there, runs through the setup, then says that there was a problem due to invalid data. it does this everytime! i have used the same usb port with stuff like my camera which were put on before march. i have also used the same cables with other stuff with no problems. the mp3 player works fine on a friends laptop.

i thought that reloading windows xp may work but i can't find the original disk. so i have tried to do a system restore but it only goes as far back as july so no good.

please can someone help me?

thanks

suneanarab

Old 10-14-2008, 02:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Triforcer

Default Re: hardwear won't load

What is the exact error it gives you when trying to install something new? "A problem due to invalid data" could be many things.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

the exact content is;

Cannot install this Hardware

There was a problem installing this hardware

(here is will list whatever new hardware i have plugged in)

An error occurred during the installation of the device

The data is invalid

it say exactly this everytime. afterwards a warning box will come up at the bottom saying the same thing and that the hardware may not work correctly. it gives no other info at all.

thanks

suneanarab
Old 10-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Triforcer

Hmmm and it says this no matter what hardware you try to install? Try a different USB port other than the same one you said you're using.

Can you install other programs that don't install hardware? Download a small program and try to install it. It could be your installer that is corrupt.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

hi,

i have used different ports and different hardware. it will load the software with no problems but not the hardware, even if both have to go together.

if the installer is corrupt (which is what i'm thinking) what can i do about that? are there any free things i can download to sort it out?

thanks again
suneanarab
Old 10-15-2008, 01:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

What phone do you have Suneanarab?
Old 10-15-2008, 02:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i have the samsung g600
Old 10-15-2008, 06:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Google usualy works:
Samsung Mobile UK | Support | Software & Manuals | PC Studio 3.1

Old 10-16-2008, 02:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

it sounds like you may have faulty USB ports or the Windows installer/driver database has been corrupted. you will get a message like that when plugging a device into a faulty USB port or a faulty device into a working USB port (i've seen it with some homebrew hardware that was shorting out).

Closed Thread