Hardware Problem! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 09:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to xpedient
Default Hardware Problem!

My cousin's pc had a hardware problem i think... when the pc is open for about 2 hours, it shuts down... and when we restart it, it doesnt start up even at bios and we noticed that the cdrom is reading... that's weird, the cdrom's up but the power is off... what seems to be the problem here?

Old 02-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: Hardware Problem!

Need a few more details, like what is the setup, what are the specs of hte computer in question?

I would say if the computer is on for a long time, during that time works fine then randomly shuts off that it is overheating. Try cleaning all fans out with a can of air and ensure that all fans are running.

I'm sure what you are experiencing is that the CD ROM is the first boot device, and the BIOS screen goes by before the monitor even turns on. So you essentially see nothing, hear the computer checking the CD Rom to see if there is a bootable device.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke

Quote:
I'm sure what you are experiencing is that the CD ROM is the first boot device, and the BIOS screen goes by before the monitor even turns on. So you essentially see nothing, hear the computer checking the CD Rom to see if there is a bootable device.
If that was so then it would sit at a screen saying "insert boot disk" (or something of the like)...are you experiencing this?
By the way you wrote it i can not tell if you have been able to start it up again, or is it unable to start at all after a few tries?
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Old 02-14-2009, 10:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

No Luke, I mean he would hear the CD rom spin for a few seconds. THis happens all the time on my computers that check the CD rom for a boot device before the HD. The BIOS request the CD rom spin to see if there is are boot files on the CD rom (or DVD).

I don't mean it in the sense that it is asking to boot from the CD, i'm saying the BIOS is checking to see if there is a bootable device in the drive, notices there isn't and continues on with the normal boot sequence.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke

Quote:
No Luke, I mean he would hear the CD rom spin for a few seconds. THis happens all the time on my computers that check the CD rom for a boot device before the HD. The BIOS request the CD rom spin to see if there is are boot files on the CD rom
Sorry, i miss understood you. I thought you meant something else. I know what you mean now.
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Old 02-15-2009, 07:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to xpedient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
If that was so then it would sit at a screen saying "insert boot disk" (or something of the like)...are you experiencing this?
By the way you wrote it i can not tell if you have been able to start it up again, or is it unable to start at all after a few tries?
its starting sometimes but then again, it would not... its random...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexluethar View Post
No Luke, I mean he would hear the CD rom spin for a few seconds. THis happens all the time on my computers that check the CD rom for a boot device before the HD. The BIOS request the CD rom spin to see if there is are boot files on the CD rom (or DVD).

I don't mean it in the sense that it is asking to boot from the CD, i'm saying the BIOS is checking to see if there is a bootable device in the drive, notices there isn't and continues on with the normal boot sequence.
there is no display... fans are rotating as normal... cdrom is blinking... i switched over to integrated video to rule out the video card and the result is the "no signal" sign blinking in the screen... its just like it powers on and powers off in a fast rate... im sorry i cant fully express myself in english, forgive me readers... hehe!

Old 02-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Your English is fine, in fact I think it is better than some people with which English is their first language

Sounds like a dead hard drive. You should put in a Linux Live CD and pull what data you can off of the drive. Then look at replacing the hard drive. You could just reformat the drive first to see if the problem happens again, but IMO once a drive dies you should just recycle it and get a new one.