Hardware Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny c

Solid State Member
I built a pc for a friend but can not seem to get it to work. The computer freezes every couple of minutes when trying to install the OS. After several attempts the OS installed but freezes continued randomly. Tried a different HD in bare bones and still have freezes. Have tested the RAM as well. Have no way of testing the video card as its PCI-E but I don't think it's the problem. Power supply has also been tested.

Motherboard? CPU? Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,
-Kenny

Double checking heatsink atm. System seems to run okay in safemode. So maybe getting too hot under stress?

How much thermal paste did you apply. The restarting can be cause by overheating. It lags, then cools down and runs again.

Boot up into the bios and watch the idle temps. If it is running ok in safe mode it is either overheating or you have a driver issue.

Just removed heatsink from CPU. It was on there nice and snug -- maybe even too much? Realized i have no arctic silver so I'll have to wait a couple days to test it out again. Don't have any other mobo/cpu that are compatible with either of these to test out =/

CPU Idles at 31 for a couple minutes then begins to climb. CPU fan is faulty I'm thinkin. Thanks much for the help guys.

Well I got the HSF working again and in bios it doesn't seem to go higher than 37. Still have the freezes when in OS and running things though. Trying to find a program to monitor temp. but can't keep it on long enough to get one.

Any new thoughts?

if it runs in safe mode, it sounds like some sort of driver error since safe mode just stops all the drivers except the ones needed to run the system

I agree on the safemode part but even before then it would freeze when installing OS on the fresh drive. Different HD in the same comp still produced the freezes as well. =(

edit: now freezing during safemode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom