Hardware malfunction, Parity check/Memory Parity Error - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Hardware malfunction, Parity check/Memory Parity Error

So today I was playing L4D and received a BSOD and this message:

*** Hardware Malfunction
Call your hardware vendor for support
NMI: Parity Check/Memory Parity Error
*** The system has halted ***

Now I am borderline illiterate when it comes to computers, but after some Google'ing it seems like a RAM/harddrive/motherboard/video card possibility.

I have downloaded a few things recently, such as L4D, but I have been operating it for some time, and wondering why it comes up now. Only thing else I have downloaded is some new nVidia drivers, but they were dated in January. Once again, I have been using these for games. I should mention, I can only replicate this error, when playing music in iTunes, or when I play L4D(actually in-game). I could play CounterStrike... played for awhile.

I am burning a memtest.iso to cd right now, to test if it is maybe a RAM card, which I pray is the case. Otherwise, I have no idea how to test to see if it is a video card. I should mention, I ran a CheckDisk on my C drive, which is my master, and that came back fine. I have not test my D drive yet.

So, if my RAM were to come back okay, where would I go from there? How do I check what is wrong, and with what component?

Intel Pentium 4 3.20Ghz,
Windows Prof SP3

I had cleaned out my case, and it was pretty dusty. I took out 3 sticks, and left 1GB stick in. I had forgot I needed to install Nero 9 to burn my memtest though. So I was installing memtest on the one stick, and I got the same error about 75% through installation.

I put all four sticks back in (figured might speed up installation?) and as I just plan to test all four on memtest, since I think RAM may not be the issue.

After testing all 4 at once, I did not find any errors.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
Default Re: Hardware malfunction, Parity check/Memory Parity Error

How to troubleshoot specific STOP Errors

Read up on those 2 topics. The first one will tell you the information we need from teh BSOD to be able to help.

The 2nd one will give you information on common Stop Error codes.
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread