hardware issues causing computer to crash - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2006, 07:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default hardware issues causing computer to crash

hi i think ive made a topic about this before awhile back but it was fine for a good time and now its back.

Origonally my computer was randomly rebooting itself while playing world of warcraft, doing anything else would run fine. I figured it was a power supply problem causing a short out when the game is using more demand on the video card so i took it into a shop and they held onto it for two weeks and baisically did nothing and gave me a new power source.

after i got it back the computer started doing it more requently, however if i layed the case on its side then it had no issues with maintaining power. it only and still randomly shuts down when standing upright.

for awhile this worked and i decided not to fix it. i had to buy a new audio card casue the short outs and restarting blew the audio card...but untill recently everything else works fine.

starting two or three days ago my video freezes while playing and computer locks up however audio still works and the keyboard is still responcive to buttons (numlock light turns on when pushed and exctera) and i have to reboot to get out of the system freeze.

now within the past day im getting visual distortion.

theres a few links of the types of distortion i get in game and out of game. on black screen it has a blue distortion and on white it turns yellow.

the video card is getting overheated..majorly.

so heres what i need to find out i guess. is this rebooting and following problems all caused by drivers, the graphics card, lack of memory or the a faulty power supply that they screwed me over with?

warcraft 2

warcraft 3

Old 11-23-2006, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Hey, what are your sys specs?

XP PRO - Thermaltake Tsunami Dream - C2D E6400@3.2 - EVGA Nvidia 680i SLI - 2Gb Corsair Dominator 6400 - Sapphire X1950 XT - TT Purepower 550W Modular PSU - Zalman 9500
Old 11-24-2006, 01:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Originally posted by Bmsh
Hey, what are your sys specs?
Asus p4p800 MOBO with intel p4 2.8 gig with two 560 memory slots.
ati radeon 9800 pro graphics card, sound blaster x-fi sound card.

two hard drives, maxtor 120 gig and seagate 160 gig set up master/slave.

windows xp OS

550 watt output power supply

oh and i have about four fans in the thing...maybe more lol
Old 11-24-2006, 03:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

Looks and sounds a lot like a video card problem.

Have you tried taking your card out, then reseating it? Is it dusty, and maybe needs blown out? Does your card have a screw in the mounting tab to help support it?

The part about laying on its side is strange. Unless that is letting the card make better connection...

If you can get hold of another card, try swapping it out and seeing if it continues to do this.

Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / EVGA GTX 760 2GB
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB / WD Red 3TB
G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win7 Ult 64-bit - Func MS3 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 11-24-2006, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

i remounted the power supply and flipped it upside down (the correct way) cause the friggin tech put it in upside down and the computer issnt shutting off now while standing. i cleaned out and pulled out the vid card allready and acctaully now occationally im getting a "power cord not connected message" upon boot up. im still getting the coloration problems and im sure if i try running a game the polygon structre will still bea ll screwy. im gonna download a temp control program to see what everything is running at....i checked in bios and it said the cpu is running at 40 C on average on bootup. could this possibly also be a ram problem?

oh and also if this helps between windows boot up and the login screen my monitor goes into idle state for about three seconds....i doubt thats normal.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

That's a pretty old card... 2 or 3 years isnt it? Have you ever OCed it? It could be fried/dieing...
Windows XP Pro SP2 | Thermaltake Armor Series | VA8000BWS Black Aluminum/Steel ATX Full Tower | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe@2.4Ghz(OCed to 3.6Ghz) | Asus P5B-E | OCZ GameXStream 600W | Corsair 2x1GB PC2-6400 RAM running 4-4-4-12@800Mhz | WD Caviar 250GB 300MB/s SATA | eVGA 7600 GT 256MB@580Mhz(OCed to 675Mhz)

Old 11-25-2006, 11:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

yeah about 4 years old, i baught it when it was first released.

Closed Thread