Hardware EXPERTS please read: regards to 6600GT - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 01:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Hardware EXPERTS please read: regards to 6600GT

I have an eVGA PCI-E 6600GT 128mb. Everything works fine.. untill I get Guild Wars and BattleField 2. I install Guild Wars first, and everything works great. I install BF2 and it has some flickering.. So I get the newest driver.. it works great now.. After a while of playing BF2, my screen starts to flicker non-stop.. as with Guild Wars, as well. Now I've tried everything for about a week with everyones suggestions, nothing works. Video card tech, game tech.. all the support, nothing works.

Heres what I think happened. Oh, and by the way I can play Starcraft fine.

What I think::

I think that (I don't know the physical parts of computer for the ****s, but this is all I can rationalize with) my video card has a 2d and a 3d processor (different things, processors, areas of computing, w/e) and since Starcraft is 2d, it works fine. But everything in 3d, such as my 2 new games, don't work because I fried my 3D part.. Sound right???

Another thing to add.. When I change the display settings to high, I get littler triangles of the flicker.. when I set to low... just huge boxes flicker.. What I'm thinking is that at high display settings, there is more computing going on, therefore littler areas to make it look better.. as in higher resolution.. and when lower display settings.. less resolution, therefore the huge boxes??

Does this seem right to you? If not, please explain to me what the problem is!! I can still send in for an RMA, but it'll cost a few bucks for shipping.. I'd rather make sure I'm right as well!! Please, if you don't know what you're talkin about don't post on this one..!! it's been bugging me for.. 2 weeks now.. only can play Starcraft omg its annoying!!

Thanks so much for the help!!

-SkyHi

Old 08-18-2005, 03:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Dark_Sniper* Send a message via Yahoo to Dark_Sniper*

well it mit be that you dont have much ram 512mb is good but for guildwars its get know GF2 man you need 1GB or 2GB thats y it mit be doing this man. OR your psu doesnt have the power to handle it lol. More of the ram.

Old 08-18-2005, 05:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

What kind of flickering is it? Is it a jerky feel to the game, or is it that textures flicker and change colours and things. If it is the latter, then that usually happens when you overclock too far. I don't know if yours is overclocked, but if not, then it's overheating probably.

\'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you **** well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.\'

Old 08-18-2005, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC

One issue here is absolutely the lack of sufficient RAM to run BF2.
BF2 is a resource HOG. 2GIG'S makes it very happy. Also, BF2 although a very good game was released too soon and was far too buggy. Even the first patch they released was buggy. Patches are supposed to fix bugs, not create new ones like HUGE MEMORY LEAKS.

It sounds to me like you are experiencing ARTIFACTING. This can be a result of overheating or overclocking too far. I'm not sure but may-be a lack of system ram can cause it too? May-be someone else can verifiy or deny this.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

When I was talking to him, he wasnt overclocking and his temperature was only 50, so I doubt it's overheating.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

PSU too week?

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 08-18-2005, 10:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Okay, thanks for good replies.. thank you so much. I have a 480 W PSU, so I don't think PSU.. maybe just fry some 3d thing when I played BF2??? I have 1 gig of RAM, and I uninstalled BF2, but still problems with Guild Wars

-SkyHi
Old 08-19-2005, 12:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Dark_Sniper* Send a message via Yahoo to Dark_Sniper*

And its only Guildwars nothing esle you are having problem ith, running programs stuff like that. IF not go here and post your problem with guildwars your computer should run great for It. http://support.guildwars.com/cgi-bin...p_sid=2Z9LqmNh
thats the supprt area they can help you with it. Or someonhere can too.