Is this a hardware error or a driver one? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Old 08-20-2016, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Is this a hardware error or a driver one?

So, before i get started with the problem (beware of text wall)
My system:
Amd Phenom ii 1055T (2.8GHz)
Asus R7 260x OC 2gb
8GB of ram
ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0
650Watt PSU

So, i have been experiencing this weird crash, ever since i upgraded to windows 10 and upgrading to the 260x (from a 5850). It is a BSOD but it not... blue, it is pixelated like a crashed BSOD and it is almost like a green and blue static effect, i can see the face behind all the mess so it MUST be a BSOD right? I can't really explain how it is, it is a REALLY messed up BSOD.

I would upload a picture but the system restarts too fast so most of the time i don't have time to take a picture, it doesn't crash under load or anyting it is completely random.

At first i thought it was a hardware problem so i bought the 260x ,its not just that, my brother who plays on his A-10 7850K alone gets the same crash too. So i was wondering if it was a driver problem? I did some research and many people have problems with their 260x crashing in a simillar way. I am no expert but if this is a common thing in AMDs cards, i might as well go with Nvidia.

HeadKicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Night Ninja
Default Re: Is this a hardware error or a driver one?

If you suspect it's a hardware error, I would start by running hardware diagnostics on the machine. If all those pass, make sure you have the latest drivers for all of your hardware.

MidnightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Is this a hardware error or a driver one?

I have the latest drivers installed (16.8.2). I tested the ram and it passed but i don't know how to test everything else.
HeadKicka is offline   Reply With Quote

bsod, crash, driver error