hardships with new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

flark.f

Solid State Member
Hello,

I'm putting together my first 64 bit system. However, after putting all the components on the board, and turning on power, all I recieve is the fans turning on and the hard drive spinning. The cd rom and floppy do not appear to be recieving power. I do not get a bios screen, nor any beeps from the motherboard. Nor do I have any video. Here are the components of the system.

Motherboard: NF4K8MC-EKRS/NF4/1600/939P/MX/A/GL/1394
http://www.pcsupplysource.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=MB6-FOX-NF4K8MK

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+*(2.2GHz) 939pin, OEM

Heatsink: Arctic Cooling Silencer 64 Ultra TCL

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer

CDrom: BenQ DW1655 - LightScribe DVD-RW DVD+RW DVD+R CD-RW Dual-Layer Optical Burner Drive (Black, OEM)

Video Card: P450-7846 :: XFX GeForce 7600 GS Extreme Edition / 256MB GDDR2 / PCI Express / SLI / Dual DVI / HDTV / Video Card

Memory: Corsair 1GB DDR PC3200

Any ideas/suggestions of what I could do or what would be causing this? I've only built a few systems in the past, and this is my first time with both 64-bit and an SATA hd.

I'm thinking it may either be the power supply (420) or the processor? Haven't had a chance yet to test the individual drives to see if they were causing a problem, but I did remove power to the hd and the cdrom drive one at a time with no change in results. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

.stan

its a dvd burner not a cdrom , does it eject when you press the button?
stupid question but ill ask it anyway , did you connect the power plug to it ? 4pin

did you connect the 4pin plug to the mobo?
c_p4.jpg

what psu exactly is it? brand/model , its not the watts that matters its the price & amper ratings

:) yes, I've checked the connections. The power is going to the dvd drive and both power cables are plugged into the mobo.

No, the drive does not eject when the button is pressed. There are no lights blinking or anything, it does not even sound like it has power.

The ps is an Aspire ATX Switching power supply. Model: ATX-AS420W

just like i tought , its cheap crap
youll defintly have to get a new psu , i recommend this one
http://www.thenerds.net/index.php?page=productpage&pn=TPII430 (as i alredy mentioned its the price & amper rating that truly matters,its a very respected brand and it have far better amp ratings)
never go cheap on a psu even if youll find a cheapo that will handle it they are unreliable and in many cases take down other parts when they fail

ok, will check into this immediately.
the psu is one that came with the case: case about 70/80 bucks.

just to cover the bases, if it's not the psu, is it possible that something else might be wrong?

psus that come with cases are usally cheap crap (except for ones that come with antec cases) , must be the psu i doubt its anything else , it have very low amper ratings defintly not enough for those specs not to mention its cheap

Well, I've just installed the new ps that jeremy recommended...
I have nothing at this point. I'm not sure if it's the switch on the case to the mobo... connections seem fine...
or one of my friends had said something about the mobo being grounded to the case? Could this be the case? and if so, how do I correct it?

Its easy enough to check the drives they should open without being hooked to the motherboard. If they open there's nothing wrong with the psu. 99% of the time when this happen's its the board and nothing else. If the switch turns the fan's on there's nothing wrong with the switch. As far as the case grounding out take the board out of the case and try it.

ok, at this point... I have everything plugged in. Nothing happens, no fans, no drives, nothing. I will try tomorrow however, with the mobo seperate from the case. This computer is becoming a real nightmare now!
btw, i've tested the individual drives, there's nothing wrong with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom