Hardrive wiping - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Hardrive wiping

Hi all,

I've joined this forum in the hope that someone will enlighten me as I clearly have no idea what I'm doing!

I want to put my Packard Bell Easynote BG45-U-300 up for sale on Ebay as it's rubbish - it still works but it overheats, the charger connection is shot to bits and it's super slow. I obviously understand that I need to wipe everything off it (I've already transferred all my personal documents / music / photos to my new laptop) but I know that 4 years worth of deleted items etc will still be sitting there and I don't know how to do this. I've spent hours googling it and all I keep reading is that I need to use a specific disk to re-format it. My issue is that it's a notebook and doesn't have a CD drive so I've hit a bit of a brick wall. I really don't want to take it to a computer shop to spend money getting it wiped otherwise I may as well chuck it in the bin but I'd at least try to make a bit of money out of it!

So...after all of that rambling, my question is:

How do I wipe my laptop without having to use a disk?

Help and advice would be very much appreciated!

Old 02-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Hardrive wiping

GParted -- Download
USB Flash Drive (should boot off USB) and use UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

And read this: http://www.techist.com/forums/f127/g...torial-224994/
Neowin.net Steam Account
Closed Thread