Harddrive problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2007, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Harddrive problems

I've been having weird problems since I built my 2nd PC and I think I know why. Problems like rebooting when I turn it off, or booting up to a desktop with only wallpaper on it, occasionally booting up and having no mouse. Anyway, I realized today my HDD is a standard Sata 150, it's a Maxline II by Maxtor. Anyway, when I built the PC I hooked it up to the Sata I connector on my Asrock 939 Dual Sata board and in the manual it says not to use Sata 1 drives on it. So I'm thinking this may be my problem.

Anyway, if I pop the drive onto either of the other 2 sata ports the PC starts to boot, a quick menu pops up (not seen before) for Raid management saying hit CTRL+A to enter. If I do nothing, it hits the windows splash screen and reboots.

So I have 2 questions:

1. Isn't a RAID setup for multiple drives, or do I still have to configure this drive in some type of RAID configuration? Any help on what that would be is appreciated as well

2. If I do have to configure the RAID to get the drive to work on one of the standard Sata 1 ports will I have to reinstall my OS and everything or should it be good to boot?

I have like a million files on this hard disk, so if I'm looking at a whole HDD wipe and OS install I think I'll take the lazy way out and buy me a cheap Sata 2 drive and set that up as master and this as slave instead of trying to back everything up.

Thank you for any help.
Closed Thread