HARDDRIVE problem!!!? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default HARDDRIVE problem!!!?

I have a 160gb harddrive with two partitions of C and D and i reformatted C partition. I have many back up files in D such as pictures and installations and other medias. What's weird is that many applications in D that i have backed up has turned into DOS files and cannot be accessed. Many pictures files are still there however corrupted, some can still be viewed, most cannot. Why is this happening? I don't think formatting C drive has anything to do to corupt half of my D partition

Old 07-20-2006, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to King X13

it never does, i have a similar set up as you do in where i put all my file i want on 2 other partions and c is just for the OS. its hard to tell what the porb with d would be but its deff not cuz of reinstalling windows as i have done it a 1000 times. its some other issue, try running chkdsk on the driver or scandisk on that partion to see if it finds any errors.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to dipique

try repairing the master boot record. FDISK /MBR at a dos prompt.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by King X13
it never does, i have a similar set up as you do in where i put all my file i want on 2 other partions and c is just for the OS. its hard to tell what the porb with d would be but its deff not cuz of reinstalling windows as i have done it a 1000 times. its some other issue, try running chkdsk on the driver or scandisk on that partion to see if it finds any errors.
run check disc
Closed Thread