Harddrive noise..

Status
Not open for further replies.

mack

In Runtime
Alright, so recently, my hard drive started making this noise. Not only is it 10x louder, but it's making a noise that sounds like metal hitting metal.

Is this a failing hard drive? It's a Western Digital Raptor 10K hdd 150GB..

^yup. well not really die, means something is loose. Which could be fixed. But if it is still under warranty don't bother, just return it and get another one if it stops working.

I suggest you back up any data you do not want to loose that is on the drive immediately.

Yea, it's only a year so old. I have a 8GB Maxtor that came from my P2 350MHz and it still works. :(

Newegg.com - Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Meh, I bought it 10/11/07. I'll let it die. I paid $179 for that, crap :p. And it has 16MB cache, man that drive sucks why did I buy it :O

Reliable
Designed and manufactured to enterprise-class standards to provide enterprise reliability in high duty cycle environments. With 1.2 million hours MTBF, these drives have the highest available reliability rating on a high capacity drive.

I'd hate to see their consumer 'class'. Apparently their "enterprise-class" standards suck.

clack clack clack.... yea if you still have access back up now and use it for a paper weight. Worthless now.

A western digital less than a year old which is dieing?? I've had my 160GB caviars for two years now, still going strong.

Even if the Harddrive is brand new, I don't trust it, I always have my data backed up at least two different ways.

All you can do is back up your data and wait for the day it dies, then you can beat the crap out of it with whatever tools you wish. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom