"Harddrive Master Failure" followed by slow PC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akumajin

Baseband Member
Ok, so I come from work one day and my BIOS has this message (or something very similar):

"Harddrive master failure."

If important, here is my computer:

Windows XP Prof.
AMD Athlon 3000+ processor
1gb PC3200 RAM
Hard drive: Maxtor 160GB 7200 RPM
nVidia 6600GT graphics card

So I reboot and it goes into checkdisk and it repairs a few files and then it reboots again and goes into Windows. All is fine so it seems, but then a few hiccups happen. For example, some programs take longer to load, I get more slowdown when multi-tasking, and games lost some frame rate.

Will this problem (likely) be fixed by replacing my hard drive and re-installing XP? Will reformatting likely do it? I use an external for 90% of my data so it would just be a day of work to take care of it, but a pain, and I'm planning on getting a new system during the Christmas sales this winter, but it is a bit early.

Thanks for any help, in advance.

How old is this Hard drive? sounds like it might have bad sectors on it or just a virus, i would run a Maxtor Diagnostic tool called: PwrMxEn Maxtor
which runs on system boot from a floppy or CD and checks for any bad or corrupt sectors of the HD

How old is this Hard drive? sounds like it might have bad sectors on it or just a virus, i would run a Maxtor Diagnostic tool called: PwrMxEn Maxtor
which runs on system boot from a floppy or CD and checks for any bad or corrupt sectors of the HD

Thanks, I'll try that. It's about 3 years old, by the way. So I just burn the program to a CD and boot from CD?

If the computer had to run a chckdsk on the drive, and knowing the history of maxtor, i would venture to say that your drive is on its way out. Is it one of those really thin drives by chance? I know we had about a 75% failure rate on maxtor drives of that age back at the last company i worked for.

I don't know if its very thin, not really. Like a laptop drive thin?

Anyway I ran the test and it passed with no problems. Any ideas?

If it passed the tests, it could have just gotten a bad sector and been fixed with the checkdisk. Personally i stay a minimum of 10 feet away from all maxtors for fear of it blowing up.

u.u

You think formatting would help? I'm running a MemTest as we speak, to see if that could be the problem. I doubt it though.

You could try formatting/reinstalling but be warned if the drive is going out windows might get angry and not let you install because it doesnt like the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom