Harddrive and Computer transfer trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackKnight

Beta member
So, I have a Seagate 750 GB HD filled with data. It is formatted to run with my MacBook. I have just recently built myself a Widows desktop. Now I want to transfer all of the data on the 750 GB Mac HD to my new 1 TB PC HD. So far I have been using my 16 GB thumbdrive to transfer it all which takes forever. I was looking for a faster way to do this. I know I can set up a connection between the two using a crossover cable or on my home network (however I'm not that good at the whole networking bit but trying to learn it). So I'm just wondering if any of you happen to know a more efficient way for me to do this.

I don't know anything about a Mac other than, I don't want one. But, I would try to plug it into the PC. Is it a SATA drive?

It's a mac external which operates on a GUI partition. Windows typically uses a Fat32. Each is exclusive to the respective OS. I was wondering if there was any way to overcome this and transfer data in one large transfer...

So, I have a Seagate 750 GB HD filled with data. It is formatted to run with my MacBook. I have just recently built myself a Widows desktop. Now I want to transfer all of the data on the 750 GB Mac HD to my new 1 TB PC HD. So far I have been using my 16 GB thumbdrive to transfer it all which takes forever. I was looking for a faster way to do this. I know I can set up a connection between the two using a crossover cable or on my home network (however I'm not that good at the whole networking bit but trying to learn it). So I'm just wondering if any of you happen to know a more efficient way for me to do this.

Try this:
Connect Mac to a Windows PC - Transfer Files and Share Screens with CrossLoop -

Windows uses NTFS (FAT32 for removable drives). Assuming the data is in a format that windows can read either:
a)take the drive out and hook it up directly to the desktop, then transfer files
b)get a crossover cable and setup the connection on both PC's (no real networking, just add the connection)
c)network the computers, if they are already on a home network just share the files in question and copy over (may take a few hours depending on the connection, i have a G wirless network and it took an hour to transfer around 9 gig of data)

Windows can read and write to mac drives, mac drives cannot read or write to windows drives though. You should be able to just connect it to the windows pc and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom