Harddrive clicking - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 02:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Harddrive clicking

So my 250gb hard drive is making a clicking noise and won't let me get into it at all. If hooked up in my computer the whole computer freezes. If going through my external I just can't get windows to see the drive. This drive doesn't have a OS on it but it does have some data I want. Is there anything I can do to get the data off? Or is the drive just gone?

Old 03-27-2008, 02:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re: Harddrive clicking

Having the drive plugged in seeing the entire system freeze up tells a sad story with the clicking sound pointing to the drive heads bouncing off of the platters or the arm swinging around. crash!

The only option you probably have now is bringing it in to a data recovery service for more then the files as well as the drive is sold for retail! It points to the drive as being in it's final saga!

Old 03-27-2008, 02:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

Yeah I was thinking the clicking was from the head hitting the platter. I was hoping it could be something else though
Old 03-27-2008, 03:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

With that and another drive in but not booting up in Windows there is a way to see if the drive can still be read from if the heads are still working to some degree. You simply boot up with a live Linux distro from the optical drive if you can and open a temp folder you prepare ahead of time and see if you can browse the one now apparently doa if possible.

The usual recommendation when considering using a pro service is to simply let the drive sit to prevent further damage since they will open up the drive's casing and take each platter by itself to see what can recovered. But without the expense and simply trying it yourself before abandoning all hope ubuntu 7.10's live version saw this when tried with two known working drives note.

Closed Thread