Hard drives way too hot! help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobkon

Baseband Member
I have about 5 HDs running in an old PC I bought about 6 years ago. Its one of my main editing machines so I have a decent amount of HDD space. I took the side of the tower off so I can get more ventilation for the drives. When I turn it on and let it run for about an hour or two, the drives get so hot, you cant even touch them. I have a regular small house fan that I have positioned on the drives to cool them down. Is this normal? The computer has had its problems recently including one of the HDs went bad, but I just figured because it was a 5 year old drive or so. Any suggestions?

Hard drives usually get hot!You can install some system fans to create a better air flow inside the tower,or you could also buy a new bigger tower which will provide more space.You've got many disks there :) :)

Also taking the side of the case of is NOT a good idea. It doesnt improve the ventilation. Install more fans, make sure the hard drives aren't touching, and PUT THE SIDE BACK ON!! Usually a good layout for the fans is one in front, one in back, the front fan should be blowing into the case and the back should be blowing out of the case. And, if they r still HOT, then install another fan blowing onto the hard drives.

you need the side of the tower on to keep the pressure high inside the case, the higher the pressure the cooler everything is (i think)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom