Hard Drives Messed Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tharar

Beta member
Hello,

I just bought a new hard drive and installed Vista with my re-install discs from my old Acer. After I did this and used my old drive to get the data off of it, a message kept popping up about how it was an invalid copy of Vista and I needed to register. I ignored this because I did not plan on using this drive later, but when I put my new drive in, it says there was no boot software. I tried to use the reinstall discs, but this did not work, so I moved onto my Ubuntu discs. Here when I got the the 4th step, it said that it was unable to create a partition. So I am wondering if anyone knows how I can solve this, and if you need the actual error message I can get those. Please help, as I don't want to buy a new OS and hard drive.

Thank you a lot.

The invalid copy of Vista error is because that version of Windows is locked to your Acer, you cannot use it on another system.

I'm confused a little about your description. Is the new hard drive still un-used, or did you successfully install something on it once?

I did install that copy of Vista once onto the new hard drive, and then when I was finished taking my files off of my old one, neither one booted up when I started the computer.

You cant install the Vista from your old OEM Acer. That violates the EULA and TOS of Windows. OEM copies are non-transferable. If it was a retail copy that is a different story.

Now the issue is this. Did you have the old drive set up to boot first when you installed Vista on the new drive? Then you removed the old drive and tried to boot the new drive?

Cause if so the Boot information was stored on the old drive and not the new drive which is why it is giving you that error message.

Looks like you'll need to buy a new Windows disc to get it installed.

I'm not sure why Ubuntu wouldn't work. Did you delete any partitions first? NTFS isn't compatible with Ubuntu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom