Hard Drive's fail to format - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 11:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Hard Drive's fail to format

I'm setting up a Dual Opteron server but everytime I try and format it, it just hangs on the formatting screen.

I have,
ASUS K8N-DL -onboard RAID SATA controller
SATA Seagate 250 GB 7200 RPM x 2
2 GB of Kingston Registered ECC RAM

It recognizes the hard drives and let's me go through the formatting process, and I have configured the RAID in the BIOS. I've tried both 0 and 1 RAID settings.

I've tried installing Red Hat Enterprise ES (paid for), and Windows XP Professional Enterprise (paid for).

Also, when I try formatting on my personal computer it works fine. Anything I could of done wrong?

--Thanks

Old 01-03-2006, 01:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Do your hard drives have an IDE connection also.If so try to switch it to the ide connection just to format them and then switch back over to SATA and when you start to install windows use your 3rd party raid drivers disk.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

No they don't, I never knew they could have SATA and IDE. Cool.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

hit f6 when prompt and load the floppy for your raid. format them in regular mode, then raid them later. why are you using raid? raid setup has a tendency to be unreliable
Old 01-03-2006, 02:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

No RAID floppy, it's onboard ASUS and they only gave me a CD that runs in Windows.

-- I changed the ports from RAID to just the regular SATA drive ports and I still have the same problem. But in this case, when loading the sata_driver from the Red Hat CD it just hangs. It doesn't even get to the format screen.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by omghax
No RAID floppy, it's onboard ASUS and they only gave me a CD that runs in Windows.

-- I changed the ports from RAID to just the regular SATA drive ports and I still have the same problem. But in this case, when loading the sata_driver from the Red Hat CD it just hangs. It doesn't even get to the format screen.
with asus you need to go into their folder on the cd and find their floppy disc makers. be careful, you might find 5 such things on the cd

Closed Thread