Hard Driver Failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HPowner

Beta member
Hi,

Here is what happened:

1. I have an HP Pavillion a1030N with a 200GB Seagate Barracuda SATA HDD.

2. Windows XP OS hung up while surfing web.

3. Nothing worked so I recycled power

4. After power-up, I was prompted to boot in one of the standard modes (last good config, safe mode, etc).

5. No boot mode worked. No errors were given. The computer simply went back to the same list of boot modes.

5. I removed the HDD, inserted it into a housing and connected it, via USB, to another computer so that I could copy it's files to the other computer before repairing the HDD.

6. The other computer immediately recognized the HDD's recovery partition (F) but took a few minutes to recognize (display) the icon for the main partition (G).

7. The other computer can browse F but not G. I get the following error:

"G:\ is not accessible error performing inpage operation."

8. I put the HDD back in its original computer and attempted a recovery by selecting F10 when powering up.

9. During recovery, I get the following message:

"The Section IDA_CREATE_USER_DRIVE_U does not contain a valid dialog template"

10. I put the HDD back into the external housing, connected it again to the other computer, via USB, so I could perform a check disk via the XP OS.

11. When I right-moused the G partition icon and selected properties, it displayed zero size and zero used space.

12. I ran the check disk and it completed it with no activity. That is, is said "check disk complete" but no check disk occured. However, I ran a check disk on the F partition (Recovery partition) and it ran normally.

13. The HDD sounds odd too. It makes a tripple click sound, followed by a disk accessing sound, followed by a tripple click. This sound repeats constantly.

14. Microsofts web site says that the error, "G:\ is not accessible error performing inpage operation", is most likely being precipatated due to a drive hardware or I/O error.

15. I put the drive into a freezer for about 20 minutes to no avail. As you can see, I'm starting to grasp at anything. I wonder if there is a patron saint of computing....

Anyway, does anyone have suggestions? I'm afraid that power-cycling I did hosed my HDD.

Thanks!

Well it sounds like the hard rive is hosed for sure. But I don't think the power cycling did it.
You could try a file recovery program while you have it in the external housing but It doesnt sound to hopeful to me.

OK don't write off that drive yet, its on its way out but you might be able to save your data I have heard that there is a way to temp fix it with a boot disk called barts PE with one of the tools on that disk. I will email my friend at work he knows more about data recovery than i do so he should give me some good advice.

Hey everyone,
Some one else suggested I run a chkdsk g:/r and it worked like a charm! I thought that using the windows xp utility to check a disk was equivalent. Apparently not. Thanks for all of your suggestions.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom