Hard drive wont boot up on differnet computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoreverdead

Beta member
i am trying to boot from a hard drive out of my old compaq that i put into a dell that has no operating system
on it. my compaq drive has XP black on it. i set the compaq to master and the other to slave. when i boot up it wont start. am i doing something wrong?

I don't know if you're talking about the hard disk booting at all, or just the windows component not working. I would make a wild guess and say that your windows is not loading correctly due to driver issues.

The new computer will have different hardware than the last computer did. You will need to completely* remove all of the drivers in safe mode, and then reinstall the new drivers afterwards,

i am trying to boot from a hard drive out of my old compaq that i put into a dell that has no operating system
on it. my compaq drive has XP black on it. i set the compaq to master and the other to slave. when i boot up it wont start. am i doing something wrong?

Okay let me clear this one up real quick.

a.) you cant just take a drive out of 1 system and put it in another and have it work with no issues. Windows contains what is called a hardware profile, or snap shot, of all the hardware in the system. If they do not match, then it will not work. You need to reinstall Windows or do a repair install.

b.) XP Black is not a official licensed version of Windows XP offered by Microsoft. It is a pirated version. Therefor it is illegal and against our rules to support.

Problem solved, topic closed due Rule #5 is the reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom