Hard drive won't boot. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 08:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Hard drive won't boot.

ok current problem is that my hard drive with all my music and useful programs and other crap just won't work anymore after reformating my main hd with windows on.

originally i had windows installed on a 36Gb WD raptor, and 80gb WD with random stuff on and my 300Gb samsung which is the new problem drive. The raptor is SATA and the other 2 IDE.

i have moved the windows install to the 80gb hd and am using the raptor for game installations.

When i originally installed windows i don't think i had the 300gb HD connected and now when i start the computer with it connected it will post but not boot windows.

any help would be great, thanks

Old 11-12-2007, 09:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to CrazeD Send a message via MSN to CrazeD
Default Re: Hard drive won't boot.

I'd be willing to bet it's a jumper issue. Check the back of the two IDE drives. Make the primary drive "Master", and the secondary drive "Slave". Don't do anything to the Raptor, it is set automatically.

Intel Q9400 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3P | G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1000 | XFX HD5870

Need website help? PM me!
Old 11-12-2007, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

the jumpers are set correctly i'm quite sure of that and its showing as the slave in the post diagnosis
Old 11-13-2007, 12:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Possable problem could be bad ribbon cable or not pluged in properly bad IDE port. Try switching to the other ide plug on main board if you have two that is. If all else fails you could try using a exteror hook up and plug the 300 gig hard drive into a usb port.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

nevermind. people like to purpose ignore tips.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

hmm how much is an exterior thing going to cost me to plug the HD in as USB and surely if the other IDE HD is working it won't be a problem with the connection on the mb or the cable?

ok may be a bad idea here but what does anyone say about starting the computer with the HD connected to the power and then plugging in the ide cable when windows has booted?
Old 11-13-2007, 09:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazvenn View Post
hmm how much is an exterior thing going to cost me to plug the HD in as USB and surely if the other IDE HD is working it won't be a problem with the connection on the mb or the cable?

ok may be a bad idea here but what does anyone say about starting the computer with the HD connected to the power and then plugging in the ide cable when windows has booted?
That wont work. IDE is not hot-swapable.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

I guess that I will take my answer off since it was completely ignored. it was most likely the reason that you had this issue

I answer the question. I knew what it did and exactly why it did it
Old 11-15-2007, 06:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

sorry ericb but recently i've only had internet access for around 5 minutes every day or so due to having to use the connection in university as i am yet to get a connection in my new place. so if you could repost i would be very grateful as i must have missed you're post when it was there last.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

go to the bios and change your boot order. on new mobo's, the bios automatically change the the boot order when you remove drives

Closed Thread