Hard drive trouble - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2008, 09:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Hard drive trouble

Hi, this isn't that bad but I just want to make sure that it isn't anything serious. Whenever I put in my Sims 2 disk (any of the expansions included) the hard drive starts spinning really loudly , so if it isn't anything to worry about just tell me, if it is could I plz get some help fixing it.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Re: Hard drive trouble

The loud sound is the because of the CD spinning at a high speed in your CD drive. Shouldn't be anything to worry about. Just a noisy CD drive.

Nero DriveSpeed allows you to change the read speed of your CD drive, to reduce noise. A free, older but fully working version can be downloaded here: http://www.cdspeed2000.com/download.html#nerodrivespeed .

Unzip and run the 'DriveSpeed.exe' file. Insert the disc into the CD drive, then in the program, go to the options and 'detect' the compatible read speeds of the CD. You'll then be able to choose a lower speed. Note that you may need to wait a bit until the CD spins down to a slower RPM.

Since the program was originally part of a Nero suite, it won't be capable of running automatically if you check the 'Run at startup' setting in the program's options. Instead, you'll need to place the 'DriveSpeed.exe' file in a permanent directory and create a shortcut to that program in your 'Startup' folder of your start menu, in order to make it run automatically at startup. Otherwise, run the program manually each time you want to adjust the CD drive read speed.

|Desktop PC| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)| |AMD FX 4100 Black Edition 3.6 GHz @ 4.0 GHz OC| |Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 PRO| |Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Super Overclock 1GB| |ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD SATA III HDD| |Kingston HyperX 8GB PC3-14900 DDR3-1866| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 04-02-2008, 10:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke
Default Re: Hard drive trouble

there would be no reason for your hdd to spin like that when you put a game in,,,like alvin said it is most likely you cd/dvd drive.
3770K @ 4.7 Ghz H100 Water Cooled | GTX 970 MSI Gold Edition SLI
32GB G.Skill RipJaws (Rendering/ Virtualization) | Corsair 650D | CORSAIR RM1000W w/ White Cable KIt
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB SSD Boot | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD Secondary | WD Black 1 TB | WD Green 3 TB
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Closed Thread