Hard Drive Transfer Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mferrante3

Beta member
My computer saddly got messed up (OS prolem). I bought a 300 gb hard drive to use as a slave and i have close to 200 gb on it. I got rid of the old master drive, put in a 100 gb new master drive and re-installed windows xp on it. When I got it up and running, I realized I couldn't access my internal drive. It wants to format it. I want to keep the files, so I'm not going to do that. Is there any way I can access this drive without formatting it. It used to be the I: Drive and Now it is Labled as the D: drive, I dont know if that has anything to do with it. Any help at all would be appreciated.

thanks in advance

ps,
the 300 gb hard drive was in the computer when it got messed up, however there should be no problems with it, in case i didn't make it clear

Since your running XP you might want to consider getting an external USB drive enclosure for the old drive. You just take the old drive out of your computer, put it in the external enclosure, plug it into a USB port, and there it is. You can avoid doing all of the stuff necessary inside of the box. A good drive enclosure can be had for about $20 from most computer stores.

Hope this helps.

I'll go out and buy that. Theres another, similar problem. I connected back up my old master drive as a slave, hoping I could recover the files. I can access most of the old hard drive, except the My Documents folder and Application Data folder. It says access denied. I used to have a password protecting my account, and that may have something to do with it. Should I try the USB external drive for my old master drive as well?

What does it say in disk management? Is the drive allocated or is it raw space? You may have to run a data recovery program on the drive. Try running a check disk on the drive. Have is repair any errors automatically.

I tried to recover the files, but it wouldnt show any of the files in the folders I oculdn't get into before

there is a place in etown ky, that can recover your data for around 200.00. it is etown electronics you can give them a call at 270.234.9113... they do good work and can do it by mail.... they utilize several tools... and if they do not recover it you don't pay anything....

For what its worth, I think I would try the old master in a USB external case. Sounds like the files are still there but the password protection is blocking access. If you can't get them, you may want to Google for software to hack those passwords. May come up empty, but I had a similar problem with some password protected Excel files, and 15 minutes on Google found me a very cool little add-in that hacked me right in.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom