Hard Drive Re Formation Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazyq

krazy Techie
So i look at my 2 hdds in my bios and i realized the one that has windows on it is marked as a slave drive
now i swapped the cabled so my windows drive would be master but then when booting it said bootmgr missing. I ran windows 7 setup and ran the repair utility and it just wou ldnt work, ran it a couple times
So i just switched the cables back and its fine now but i'd rather have my windows drive as master...
any ideas?
plus what prompt do i enter in cmd to check if my hdds have any eerrors?
like a full throught scan
thanks

The boot information must be stored on the other drive. Not quite sure on how to fix that one, so I'll let Mak answer that one.

As for the command prompt command... it's:
chkdsk <drive letter> /r

Hi,

Yep, you need to create a new boot configuration on the Windows partition (when set as the primary boot drive). Alternatively, you could just set the non-Windows drive as the primary boot device in the BIOS settings – the result should be the same. However, while this may be the easiest solution, it is not as efficient. So, it's best to create a new boot configuration on the Windows drive as outlined below.

You could use Window's BCDEDIT command line tool to create a new boot configuration (on the HDD containing your Windows partition), but an easier method is to use a boot configuration editing program like DualBootPro (formerly VistaBootPro, which costs) or EasyBCD which is free to use.

well first i'm trying to check if something wrong with my hdd cos whenever i open u torrent or my folders i hear my hdd disk spinning...
its kinda annoying cos then my desktop keeps refreshing
i ran diskchk all night but i dont know the results cos it booted into my desktop by the time iw oke up...

You probably have your HDD set to go to sleep after so long. Check your power options, under the Advanced Options.

You probably have your HDD set to go to sleep after so long. Check your power options, under the Advanced Options.

jsut changed it to never
but i was hearing some weird noises from one of my hdd and it went away after tou ching it...
any tests to check the health of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom