Hard Drive problems? Replace or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ringwood

Beta member
Ok, here's my problem: Last December I bought a computer from a well-known national store that will remain unnamed. I started getting Windows error messages almost immediately, and by September, the computer would go into Chkdsk when I booted it up, and I was getting messages on start-up saying that the 'S.M.A.R.T disk HD was in danger of imminent failure' and to replace it. So...I took the computer back to the store I purchased it from. The tech there did two tests on the hard drive: Tuff Test and Disk Doctor. She also told me that S.M.A.R.T HD is known to be innacurate with reporting failure and turned off the self test in the BIOS settings. Basically, in her opinion, there was nothing wrong with the HD. Now, a month later, my computer won't even load my local profile. It says it's corrupt. When I run Chkdsk myself and go into the Event Log, there's a ton of error messages saying that the HD has a bad block. So, I have several questions. Number 1: Would the tests the tech did actually find anything wrong with the HD? Number 2: It seems pretty obvious to me that the HD is failing, considering all the messages I'm getting. But - I'm not a computer expert. Could anyone out there advise me as to whether I need to replace the HD or not? Any help or advice would be most appreciated! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom