Hard Drive Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atashi

Beta member
My computer has a ASUS P4P800S-X motherboard and has been working fine for 6 months, but I have started having problems with the hard drive (a Samsung SP0812C.) The hard drive is recognised in BIOS, but the computer usually freezes completely when the POST tries to detect the drive, sometimes it does boot, but it then freezes during or soon after windows loads up.
I tried another SATA Drive (a Samsung HD080HJ) but it had the same problem; freezing during the POST, or while formatting the drive. However when I tried an old IDE hard drive it worked fine, so I am assuming the problem is with the SATA.
I couldnÂ’t find any SATA drivers on the motherboard CD or any hard drive drivers on the Samsung website.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do next? I would really like to get a SATA Drive working again, and not have to go back to IDE. Any help would be very much appreciated.

I've tried a different SATA cable, and tried both SATA ports on the motherboard, but it didnÂ’t make any difference.

Check your BIOS settings and make sure the motherboard is detecting the SATA correctly. Also, look in the Advanced settings and see how it is handling boot-- priority, whether it's looking for an IDE drive or not (you might not want this if you haven't any IDE drives in ).

Also, check your memory out, run memtest86 on it and see if you get any errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom