Hard Drive Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

oncehipjr

Beta member
I am trying to install an additional hard drive on my computer. I am currently using a Seagate 80 gigabyte. (ST380013A) It is set up through the IDE channel. The other hard drive I'm trying to install is a Seagate 120 gigabye. (ST3120026AS) I've tried almost anything I can think about, but am unsure how to do it. When I change a setting, the device manager tells me that "RAID Controller" is a problem device. But when I change the settings again in the bios, it dissapears. The bios is able to find the hard drive. And I can load from it, but I cannot figure out how to choose which drive I want to load from. If anybody has any advice, it would help a lot. I'm on a Dell XPS Gen 2 running Windows XP Home.

Are you putting the drives on the same IDE channel? If so you have to set the drives to master/slave via the jumpers on the back of the drives.

Try what Bassmaster says first. Then, if that doesn't solve it... well, if you're using the other IDE bus for it, that bus might be bad. That's unlikely, but possible.

Or if you're asking how to pick which one to boot from, you can use the BIOS setting for boot order.

Bassically, what's your specific question?

-CC

I found out what my problem was, and I fixed it.

I needed a RAID Controller Driver.

So I popped in the Resource CD for one of my dells, and found one. Everything works fine. Thanks for your help though.

Also, something I didn't mention for future reference. I was running my OS from an 80 gigabyte seagate IDE harddrive. But I was trying to get my other harddrive, which is a 120 gigabyte, which is hooked into my motherboard through Serial ATA cable. I guess that's why I was so confused. That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom