hard drive problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sewercake

Solid State Member
HI

I recently bought and installed a new hard drive into my computer. But the problem is with the amount of memory it shows. When I go into the disk management, it says the drive is only 4.8 gigs, instead of the 80 gigs it should say. Its a seagate IDE barracuda. I am running windows xp sp 2
does anyone have any idea what is wrong with it?
thanks

-D'artagnan

First, take it out and look at the jumper settings on the back of the hard drive. Some hard drives have a jumper setting that limits it to a certain size. This is a weird problem, I haven't see it before. Try plugging it into a different IDE slot on your board.

like said, check the jumpers to make sure they aren't set to "limit drive size"

Once you've done that, go to start -> run
run "diskmgmt.msc" (without quotes)
you can reformat and/or repartition the drive from there.

Yes, this is a second hard drive, which I am using for linux. I have checked the jumpers and they seem fine. I tried the auto detecting junk, but taht didn't work either. Are there any barriers I have to pass? When I go to the disk management or whatever, it says unallocated. I think I am going to take it back and see If I can exchange and see if it will work then.
thanks

-Sewercake

like said, check the jumpers to make sure they aren't set to "limit drive size"

Once you've done that, go to start -> run
run "diskmgmt.msc" (without quotes)
you can reformat and/or repartition the drive from there.

Do what the man said its all that is wrong with your hard drive it needs formated.

Yes, this is a second hard drive, which I am using for linux. I have checked the jumpers and they seem fine. I tried the auto detecting junk, but taht didn't work either. Are there any barriers I have to pass? When I go to the disk management or whatever, it says unallocated. I think I am going to take it back and see If I can exchange and see if it will work then.
thanks

-Sewercake

I had a similar problem with a 2yr old seagate. I went to 3 diffrnt forums and each and everytime I was told to check jumpers. Long story short, the drive was bad. Just bcus its new doesnt mean it is a perfect drive. Just return it. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom