Hard Drive Problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 06:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Talking Hard Drive Problems

i have just re-installed windows xp home over my old version on C drive. But now ive got a problem, they is 50 or more % of that drive already used on my new windows, how can i get rid of that stuff? i tried going into the files but they are restricted.

Another thing, is i also got a seconds hardive, ive always had problems with this as the icon for it keeps dissapering from @my computer@ why does it keep doing that, it means i cant access it and its really really anoying. It wasent installed on my pc when i bought it.
Can sum1 please help lol thanx, oh n more more thing, i downloaded a theme from http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/25958655/ and i dont know what to do with it, its a good vista theme 2,

thanks James

Old 02-02-2007, 12:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Enterprise SCCM\SCOM

Send a message via ICQ to jseber1982 Send a message via AIM to jseber1982 Send a message via Yahoo to jseber1982

the files that are restricted.. i am assuming you are logged in as admin..

Take control of the files, give yourself full control and remove them.

As for the other drive. you have verified that the cable and power are securely plugged in? And have you tried a new ide cable. And is the drive spinning up and down repeatedly?

Old 02-02-2007, 07:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by jseber1982
the files that are restricted.. i am assuming you are logged in as admin..

Take control of the files, give yourself full control and remove them.

As for the other drive. you have verified that the cable and power are securely plugged in? And have you tried a new ide cable. And is the drive spinning up and down repeatedly?
Yep. Now if all of that stuff on your drive and you don't want to save it, I would do a fresh install of windows and your registry will be clean. Anytime you do an OS upgrade 98 or ME to XP you do not have a clean install. If you do not want all that stuff that is currently on that drive then do this: Use a Windows 98 diskette and run fdisk. Remove the non-dos partition on the primary drive. Do a clean install of windows 98/me and immediatley do the XP upgade and set up all drivers in Xp. All your problems should disappear baring bad hardware issues.:amazed:
Closed Thread