Hard drive problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCGames

Solid State Member
Hi, ok I have a hard drive problem and im wondering if anyone can help,
I have bought a new pc which has a SATA hard drive, with no OS on it, but I have an older IDE hard drive which does have an OS on it, right now the computer is booting up from the SATA hard drive, and Im trying to make it boot from the IDE hard drive - is this possible? and how do I do it if it is possible?

Enter the CMOS Setup and switch around the Boot Priority list.

For the OS to work on the new PC you will have to run a repair or reinstall using the windows XP disc that was USED on that SPECIFIC harddrive.

Enter the bios,
When the computer begins to boot you see the first screen start pressing "delete" (Look at the bottom somewhere it will tell you what key to press to enter the bios on that first mem test screen)

Next you will need to navigate threw the bios and find Your hardrives. They will be listed As HD 0, HD1 find out which one is your IDE (it will be labeled) then locate "boot order" in the bios
Set 1st floppy 2nd CD ROM 3rd Hard drive Do not boot any other

Ok the thing about it is : The windows disk I used was a manufacturer made one (for my computer) but I was hoping that it would still work, if I used the same hard drive, will I need to buy another windows disk?

You can try using it, but its unlikely that it will work.
IMO backup important data, then try it. If it doesn't work then you gotta buy it.

(Coughortorrcoughent)

Well, I made the computer boot from the IDE hard drive and it asks me to enter a product key for windows xp home ( which I have ) but it crashes after I try to enter it, should I just format both hard drives and try a fresh install?

So I will definetly have to get a new windows xp home disk? I ask because I would rather use the product key I already have, instead of having to spend so much money for another.

Another question (sorry for the double post)
Is there any way other than using windows xp service pack 1 to get a USB 2.0 driver? the disk I got with my motherboard says I should download windows xp service pack 1, but since my modem connects via USB 2 port, its very slow downloading.

Well Like I said, you don't have to buy it. You Got PM.

No Idea, wth kind of modem only connects through USB.

You could possible use a USB memory stick to download from another PC then transfer it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom